Quick Laundry Guide
If you are in a hurry – or desire a simplified summary of the detail in our Home Washing Guide, well, here it is – the quick do’s, don’ts and tips of laundering. Understanding and applying these basic laundry guidelines will extend the life of your clothes and reduce the stress of laundry mishaps.
- Presort correctly.
- Check clothing and machine for foreign objects.
- Zip zippers, empty pockets, etc.
- Use appropriate cycle, temperature & water level.
- If needed, use pretreatment products.
- Use an adequate amount of detergent.
- Put detergent in first – let liquids dilute and powders dissolve before adding clothing.
- Always dilute bleach before adding. Add to wash water before adding clothes.
- Add fabric softener with final rinse. If available, use fabric softener dispenser.
- For the whitest whites, use Mrs. Stewart’s® Bluing in the final rise.
- Avoid overloading the washer.
- Avoid using too much detergent.
- Do not use fabric softener in wash cycle as it is incompatible with most detergents.
- Avoid overloading the dryer.
- Keep like garments together to prevent shrinkage, linting, pilling, etc.
- Dry garments just long enough to remove wrinkles and moisture.
- Use proper heat and cycle settings.
- Hang or fold clothes soon after they are dry to avoid wrinkling.
- Keep the dryer lint filter clean.